InSight Crime invites qualified candidates to apply for our internship program, which has three cycles: spring, summer and fall. Applications must be submitted by December 1 for the spring term, by April 1 for the summer term and by August 1 for the fall term. Please send all application materials to , including: a CV, cover letter and two short English language writing samples, preferably on a topic related to organized crime and/or Latin America. Due to the nature of the internship, we are only able to accept native English speakers.
InSight Crime Internship Description:
InSight Crime's internship program is designed to give candidates experience in writing, reporting, and conducting research for an investigative think tank. The chosen candidates will also deepen their knowledge of organized crime and security policy in Latin America and the Caribbean, and will receive training in how to protect themselves, their sources and their materials both in and out of the field. Our internships are unpaid, but provide an excellent opportunity to work in a fast-paced, challenging work environment with an expert and dedicated team. Upon successful completion of an internship, the intern is guaranteed professional references from our directors, who have many years of experience in the field of journalism and security analysis.
InSight Crime Intern Duties:
· Write morning News Briefs, short articles of 300 to 400 words that provide analysis on breaking news.
· Write and edit static content, which includes profiles of countries, criminal groups, and major personalities in organized crime.
· Translate posts from our Spanish-language partner organizations for publication, and any other material as requested.
· Perform desktop research for special InSight Crime projects and investigations.
· Once comfortable with News Briefs, an intern may be asked to produce longer News Analysis articles, which are likely to require interviews and more in-depth research.
· Other tasks as requested.
InSight Crime Intern Qualifications:
InSight Crime seeks interns with previous writing experience, a strong academic background and great research skills, fluency in Spanish and a dedication to accurate, in-depth reporting. Our candidates will be asked to complete tasks that test their writing and editing skills, ability to work under pressure, and analytic capabilities, before any final decision is made. Below are educational, professional, and scheduling requirements.
· Available at least 20 hours a week, primarily in the morning hours (7.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. approximately, Colombian time), and able to commit to the time period from early January to May for the spring term, May to August for the summer term and August to December for the fall term.
· Have completed a Bachelor's degree in a subject related to InSight Crime's field of research (preferably Latin American Studies, Political Science or Journalism).*
· Strong English-language writing samples.
· Native English speaker; highly competent in written and spoken Spanish.
· Working towards a higher degree (Master's or equivalent) in journalism or Latin American Studies or have prior professional experience in a related field.
· Some competency in Portuguese.
· Prior experience writing for an online publication.
· Copy editing skills.
· Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite, Joomla or equivalent content management system, Photoshop or other graphics program.
*Strong candidates who are in the late stages of completing a Bachelor's program may be considered.